Definition: A centre for investigation and diagnosis of medical disorders where ionizing radiation may also be used.
PART A: Scope of Services (at least 2 of the following):
- Medical Laboratory
- Ultra Sound Scan Centre
- X-Ray Centre
PART B: Minimum Facilities
In addition to the private medical laboratory requirements other minimum facilities required are:
- Ultra Sound Scan Room of 4 x 3 sq. metres
- X-ray room of 4 x 3 sq. metres with walls of adequate thickness and lined with lead or barium plaster
- Dark room and light trap entrance
- Room for sorting and filing of 4 x 3 sq. metres
PART C: Equipment
All the equipment must be comprehensive, basic, functional and relevant to the services provided by the centre and in conformity with international regulations for the use of ionizing radiation.
- Ultra Sound Scan machine
- X-ray machine and accessories (preferably digital)
- X-ray film processing equipment
- X-Ray Couch
- Other accessory equipment
- Protective gadgets for staff and patients e.g.
- lead rubber aprons
- lead gloves and
- Mobile Screen, etc.
- Provision for continuous monitoring of personnel and site exposure to radiation e.g. Geiger counter.
- Any other equipment/Instrument relevant to the practice
PART D: Staff Complement
- A Radiographer/Sonographer registered and licensed with the Radiographers Board of Nigeria
- Medical Laboratory Scientist registered and licensed with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria.
- Medical Laboratory Technician/Assistant (and not a Science Laboratory Scientist or Technologist please) registered and licensed with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria.
- X-Ray Technician/Dark room technician duly licensed
- Other staff (both domestic and administrative) to complement the services of the Centre.
PART E: Hand Washing Facilities
Proper hand washing facilities must be available in all sections of the facility to facilitate frequent hand washing by the staff and patients.
Facilities to provide are:
- Wash hand basin with running water
- Liquid antiseptic soap in dispensing bottle with plunger
- Disposable Serviettes
- Liquid hand sanitizers
- Hand dryers (optional)
- Pedal bins
- Handwashing poster
PART F: Medical Waste Management
- Registration with LAWMA Medical waste management is compulsory
- Use of appropriate waste bins with cover in all sections of the facility
- Use of appropriate colour coded bags for all medical waste disposal i.e.
- Use of safety boxes for all sharps
- Creation of an appropriate final waste collection point for all facility’s waste
PART G: Public health facilities
These facilities include:
- Adequate ventilation
- Adequate illumination
- Clean and adequate Water Supply
- pipe borne water
- treated borehole
- Washable floors preferable tiled
- Covered and appropriate waste bins
- Toilet facilities (W.C.) exclusive to the clinic.
- Fire extinguisher and other safety gadgets with valid service records attached.
PART H: Power Supply
- Standby Generators
- Inverter (Optional)