Definition: A centre for investigation, diagnosis and treatment of minor eye disorders, grinding & fixing of Lenses and Repair of Eye Glasses.
PART A: Minimum Facilities
- Waiting/Reception Room of 4 x 3 sq. metres with:
- Sitting facilities
- Registration table.
- Medical Record Facilities (preferably digital).
- Consulting Room(s) of 4 x 3 sq. metres with:
- Examination Chair/Couch
- Basic hand washing facilities under running water
- Appropriate medical waste bins/management
- Refraction/Treatment Room of 4 x 3 sq. metres containing the requisite specialist equipment including:
- Eye SCAN
- Auto Refractor
- Visual Activity Chart
- Visual Field Analyzer
- Tri-Lens set
- Parking’s Tonometer
- Slit Lamp etc.
- Optical workshop of 4 x 3 sq. metres with appropriate machines and instruments for cutting, grinding and fitting of lenses and repair of glasses.
PART B: Staff complements:
- Optometrist or Optician with a BSc Degree or Doctor of Optometry or any other qualification registerable with the appropriate professional body with at least five (5) years post qualification experience serves as Operating Officer.
- Clerk / Receptionist.
PART C: Hand Washing Facilities
Proper hand washing facilities must be available in all sections of the facility to facilitate frequent hand washing by the staff and patients.
Basic Facilities for hand washing are:
- Wash hand basin with running water
- Liquid antiseptic soap in dispensing bottle with plunger
- Disposable Serviettes
- Liquid hand sanitizers
- Hand dryers (optional)
- Pedal bins
- Handwashing poster
PART D: Medical Waste Management
- Registration with LAWMA Medical waste management is compulsory
- Use of appropriate waste bins with cover in all sections of the facility
- Use of appropriate colour coded bags for all medical waste disposal i.e.
- Use of safety boxes for all sharps
- Creation of an appropriate and secure final waste collection point for all facility’s waste
PART E: Public health facilities shall include
- Adequate ventilation
- Adequate illumination
- Clean and adequate Water Supply
- pipe borne water
- treated borehole
- Washable floors preferable tiled
- Toilet facilities
- Adequate toilet facilities exclusive to the facility as approved by the Agency.
- Fire Extinguisher and other safety gadgets with valid service card
PART F: Power Supply
- Standby generator
- Inverter (Optional)
NOTE: Business hours shall be clearly displayed on the premises.