Definition: Premises with facilities for mortuary services with or without postmortem examinations. Such premises may be composite or be a unit in a hospital.
PART A: Minimum Basic Facilities:
- Waiting/Reception Room of 4x3m with adequate sitting facilities.
- Records Facilities (must be adequate).
- Toilet Facilities.
- Staff Room.
- Cooling (Body) Chambers.
- Autopsy Room (optional) required only if post-mortem examinations would be carried out.
- Embalming Room.
PART B: Equipment (Minimum):
- Trolley x 2.
- Suction Machine x 1.
- Embalming Table x 2 (connected directly to the septic tank).
- Embalming Machines (attached directly to the table).
- Refrigerated Body Units x 24.
- Formalin Tank (optional).
PART C: Sanitation
- Adequate water supply either pipe borne/borehole water tank.
- Walls must be well tiled from top to bottom.
- The floor must be washable and tiled preferably with vitreous tiles.
- Adequate Drainage.
- Adequate Ventilation.
- Adequate Illumination.
- Alternative Source of Electricity (Generating Set).
- Adequate Waste Disposal.
PART D: Minimum Staff Complement
- Pathologist may be part-time/optional, if there would be
- post-mortem services.
- Three Pathology Assistants/Embalmers.
- Aides /Cleaners.