Definition: A centre for investigation and diagnosis of medical disorders
PART A: Minimum Facilities
- Waiting Room/Reception Room of 12sq. metres with:
- Sitting facilities
- Registration table
- Record keeping facilities
- Phlebotomy room of 3 sq. metres with:
- Proper hand washing facilities
- Waste disposal/ management
- Working areas with:
- Adequate benches covered with formica for easy cleaning
- Clean running water and sinks
- Proper hand washing facilities in all sections of the Laboratory including the waiting room.
- Adequate PPE
- Wash collection
PART B: Disciplines to be covered
This will include at least two of the following:
Each discipline must have different work stations
- Hematology; blood group serology, etc.
- Clinical Chemistry
Note: All blood for transfusion must be sent to Government approved screening centres for HIV, Hepatitis B & C, Syphilis and other screening procedures.
PART C: Equipment
Shall be comprehensive, functional and regularly serviced relevant to the discipline(s) being covered by the private medical laboratory such as:
- Laboratory incubator
- Bench Centrifuge
- Micro-Haematocrit Machine
- Electrophoresis Machine
- Laboratory Autoclave
- Binocular Microscope
- Laboratory weighing Scale
- Refrigerator and thermometer (strictly for requests and samples)
- Water Bath etc.
PART D: Staff Complement
- Medical Laboratory Scientist/Technologist registered with the Medical Laboratory Council of Nigeria with a minimum of 5 years post-qualification experience serves as the Operating Officer.
- Medical Laboratory Technician/Assistant registered with the Medical Laboratory Council of Nigeria (and not a Science Laboratory Scientist or Technologist)
- One Clerk/Receptionist (optional)
- Other domestic and secretarial staff as needed by the facility.
PART E: Hand Washing Facilities
Proper hand washing facilities must be available in all sections of the Laboratory to facilitate frequent hand washing by the staff and patients.
Facilities to provide are:
- Wash hand basin with clean running water
- Liquid antiseptic soap in dispensing bottle with plunger
- Disposable Serviettes
- Liquid hand sanitizers
- Hand dryers (optional)
- Pedal bins
- Hand washing poster
PART F: Medical Waste Management
- Registration with LAWMA Medical waste management is compulsory
- Use of appropriate waste bins with cover in all sections of the facility
- Use of appropriate colour coded bags for all medical waste disposal i.e.
- Use of safety boxes for all sharps
- Creation of an appropriate and secure final waste collection point for all facility’s waste
PART G: Public health facilities shall include
- Adequate ventilation
- Adequate illumination
- Clean and adequate Water Supply –
- pipe borne water
- treated borehole
- Washable floors preferably tiled
- Covered and appropriate waste bins
- Toilet facilities (W.C.) exclusive to the clinic.
- Fire extinguisher and other safety gadgets with valid service records attached.
- Muster point and valid fire certificate.
PART H: Power Supply
- Standby Generators
- All initial equipment must be on a UPS
- Inverter (Optional)