Definition: A centre for investigation and diagnosis of medical disorders where ionizing radiation may also be used.
PART A: Scope of Services
- Medical laboratory Services
- Ultra Sound Scan Services
- ECG, EEG
- X-Ray Services
- CT Scan
- MRI etc.
PART B: Minimum Facilities
- Waiting Room/Reception Room of 12sq.metres with:
- Sitting facilities
- Registration table
- Record keeping facilities (preferably digital)
- Phlebotomy room of 3 sq. metres (for Medical laboratory services) with:
- proper hand washing facilities
- waste disposal/ management
- Working areas with:
- Adequate benches
- Running water and
- Proper hand washing facilities in all sections of the Laboratory including the waiting room.
- Ultrasound SCAN Room of 12sq.metres with the following:
- Couch for Scanning
- Proper Hand washing facilities
- Adequate medical waste management
- X-ray room of 12 sq. metres with:
- walls of adequate thickness lined with lead or barium plaster
- Dark Room and light trap entrance
- Room for sorting and filing of 12 sq. metres
PART C: Equipment
All the equipment must be comprehensive, basic, functional and relevant to the services provided by the centre and in conformity with international regulations for the use of ionizing radiation.
- Ultra Sound Scan machine
- X-ray machine and accessories (preferably digital)
- X-ray film processing equipment
- X-Ray Couch
- Other accessory equipment
- Protective gadgets for staff and patients e.g.
- lead rubber aprons
- lead gloves
- Mobile Screen, etc.
- Provision for continuous monitoring of personnel and site exposure to radiation e.g. Geiger counter.
- Any other equipment/Instrument relevant to the practice.
PART D: Staff Complement
- A Consultant Radiologist or Pathologist registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria with a minimum of 5 years post-qualification experience serves as the Operating Officer.
- Consultant on specialized field of services rendered must be also be available
- A radiographer with current practicing license
- Medical Laboratory Scientist with current practicing license
- Medical Laboratory Technician/Assistant (and not a Science Laboratory Scientist or Technologist) with current practicing license.
- X-Ray Technician/Dark room technician duly licensed
- Other staff (both domestic and administrative) to complement the services of the Centre.
PART E: Hand Washing Facilities
Proper hand washing facilities must be available in all sections of the facility to facilitate frequent hand washing by the staff and patients.
Facilities to provide are:
- Wash hand basin with running water
- Liquid antiseptic soap in dispensing bottle with plunger
- Disposable Serviettes
- Liquid hand sanitizers
- Hand dryers (optional)
- Pedal bins
- Handwashing poster
PART F: Medical Waste Management
- Registration with LAWMA Medical waste management is compulsory
- Use of appropriate waste bins with cover in all sections of the facility
- Use of appropriate colour coded bags for all medical waste disposal i.e.
- Use of safety boxes for all sharps
- Creation of an appropriate final waste collection point for all facility’s waste
PART G: Public health facilities shall include
- Adequate ventilation
- Adequate illumination
- Clean and adequate Water Supply
- pipe borne water
- treated borehole
- Washable floors preferable tiled
- Covered and appropriate waste bins
- Toilet facilities (W.C.) exclusive to the clinic.
- Fire extinguisher and other safety gadgets with valid service records attached.
PART H: Power Supply
- Standby Generators.
- Inverter (Optional)